I already had a “star” in the upper right hand side where I could bookmark a site so why do I need to bookmark it on a social bookmarking site?
Then I read The Nurse’s Social Media Advantage book, I finally had it explained to me.
Here’s what I have learned :
1. You can bookmark you site and be able to get back to that site from any computer or browser you happen to be using. This is so handy for someone like me that uses a PC, laptop and a smartphone.
2. It’s also a great place to do research on what’s popular or trending in your niche market. Very useful for finding articles in your niche and for coming up with ideas to write about on your blog.
3. You can bookmark your favoirte sites with a description or tag. This helps to easily organize you sites and get back to them fast when you need to. That was the biggest problem I was having when using my browsers bookmarking or favorites, I didn’t know what the site was called and I”d waste time trying to find it, sometimes never finding it.
4. Easily send your favorite pages or websites to your friends, family or collegeaues.
5. Score those sites you love with a rating. Give it a score and see how others are scoring your favorite sites.
Now that I understand what social bookmarking sites are and how to use them I’m a big fan.
It’s an easier way to get back to your favorite site using descriptions and tags. Also saves time, something I’m a big fan of.
Try out a social bookmarking site if you haven’t yet and see if it saves you time and money.
Here’s a short list of a few, but I use Delicious because it’s the most popular and the easiest to use. But don’t take my word for it, try them out and find the one that suits you.
Remember, if you don’t want to use Social Bookmarking sites you can still use them to search a topic or check on your competitors. And just for fun, see what your friends like and share your favorites with them.